Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Driving...

Sebastian started drivers ed. three days after his 15th birthday. We could have waited but in a moment of (?) I signed him up. Maybe it was the fact that all I had to do was fill out a form online and he was registered. Perhaps if I had to go somewhere and sign a bunch of papers I would have put it off. He thinks it is wonderful and frightening. I think it is frightening and wonderful.
Eric and I have always said that we believe kids should have as much practice driving as possible. In fact Eric taught more than one kid from his youth group to drive. I guess I thought he would be more involved with teaching Sebastian. So far that has not gone well. Apparently "I" am the calm one. I'm never the calm one. Today I really had to practice being the calm one. I took Sebastian out for a drive through the county and part of Ferndale. (including 2 round abouts)
Why did no one warn me that I could feel scared to death and immensely proud at the same time? It is truly an overwhelming thing. I feel better now that my heart has stopped racing and my hands have blood in them.
Sebastian with his permit.

No comments: