Thursday, May 3, 2012

Passports, pants and privacy

Eric and I tend to fly by the seat of our pants. We only make plans when it is truly necessary. We also often break and rearrange our plans. Yesterday we did all three.
Sebastian is going on a mission trip this summer to Mexico and needs a passport. We made an appointment and started gathering the documents. The appointment is for next week so I really only located his birth certificate. I had not gotten pictures, found his SSN or made sure we filled out the application.
Yesterday we figured out that we both have to work at the time of the appointment next week. Hmmm maybe we should check the calendar next time. So I got a call from a friend whose son is also going on the trip. She asked how and where we were getting our son's passport. I told her and she asked why we were not going to the county treasurers office. I had no reason other than I didn't know we could. She said it was "walk in" and maybe it would be easier for us. I probably would have been.
My husband called our son's school to get him out early. I drove home to get the birth certificate. I got to his school right when I was supposed to. While I was waiting for him an ambulance arrived to deal with a student who had given blood and passed out in the restroom. When our son finally arrived things were rushed and we forgot to sign him out. We headed towards Costco to get his pictures done. We then went and picked up my husband and headed to the court house. Things were good until we got inside and realized I was out of checks and they ONLY take checks. Then we realized we did not have his SSN. We don't live in the same town as the court house so going home was not an option. I went to get some blank checks from our credit union and my husband worked on getting the SSN from turbo tax online. A few bumps but things were going to work out. On my way back to the court house I stopped to put money in the parking paystation. I am not good with automated paystations so my son took care of it. Then he chucked an unused quarter at me and missed. I squated down to pick it up and my pants ripped. Seriously!?! (old jeans I have not worn for a while because they were a bit snug but now they fit from all the running I have been doing) I did not feel it but my son saw it. He tactfully told me I should have a seat in the van while we waited for my husband to call back and let us know if he got the SSN. He got the SSN and let me know we needed to come back in.  Ummm. Fortunately I found a hoody in the back of the van and wrapped it around my waist. Total middle school flashback.
We finally got it all together and took the oath that we were not lying on the form. Then the nice lady who was helping us (and laughing her head off) started to staple his birth certificate in with the forms and checks. I had forgotten that they take the actual copy with the application. Not good since we need it this weekend when we head up to Canada for my half-marathon. She told us we could go down the street and get a new one. All we needed was a form and $20. She said anyone who knows where/when he was born and my maiden name can get a copy of his birth certificate. Apparently Washington is a state where anyone with Facebook access and a bit of time can get brith certificates of any one born in the state.
So much for privacy and my pants! At least we will get the passport.

No comments: